Wednesday, August 17, 2005

It used to be a good game, but now it sucks

There is a place in town that hosts regular HE games two to three times a week. The games are fairly cheap $25-$50 buy-in with a decent blind structure. This is the game that got me started and where I had a ton of success as I was learning the game. I look back fondly, because it was a great place to learn and the poker was actually pretty good. I made out pretty well for the first 7-8 months of my poker career and, well, I enjoyed going out there.

Then something happened around April-May. A lot of the guys who were regulars quit coming and a whole new batch of players came in. At first, I thought this was great as they were all new and had no clue as to what they were doing. Weak, passive calling stations that jumped at any suited ace and thought small pairs were gold.

Well, I've discovered something. In this type of environment, if you don't have a hand, you are dead. It's really not any fun as you can't make any moves because you'll always get a caller. Oh, it's great on those nights where you get AA, AK, KK, etc., but on nights where you might catch one or two big hands, you have to pretty much play with your fingers crossed. I hate it because it's in town and where I pretty much learned how to play and now it's unplayable.

I'll give you an example. Blinds were escalating (300/600) and I was flirting with being short stacked at around 7000. Im in the SB and get 4h 5h, UTG, MP, and the button limp, so I think this is a primo opportunity to pick up some chips and move in (mind you, I've played less than 10 hands all night). Fold around to the button, who says...and I'm not kidding "I've had good luck with this card all night...I call" and shows Js 6h. 4 hearts hit the board and I'm gone.

SHE CALLED FOR ALMOST ALL OF HER CHIPS WITH J6 OFFSUIT.

I'm going to miss that game. Because I just can't play in that environment and there's better games and more money online.

A good poker player knows what games to play and ones to avoid.

I'm avoiding this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home