Saturday, August 13, 2005

Same old stuff (which is good)

I keep playing and things keep going on a positive note.

Had an excellent night last night, tripling my buy-in. I have now taken increased my online stash by 900% over the last 2 weeks....awesome.

I'm doing my best to keeping things on an even keel. All I'm playing is .10/.25 NL and $10 SnGs....that's it. I now understand why playing within the limits of your BR is important. You can't be afraid to lose a buy in, because then you become defensive, and then you're done.

One problem that I have (along with most of the poker world) is getting away from big pocket pairs or overpairs. There are times where you have to know that even AA is just a pair and could be way behind.

A couple of nutso hands last night, one good one bad.

The bad hand was nuts. I had JJ in MP and made it 5X BB to go. I got FOUR callers. Flop bring K J (yes) 4 with two diamonds. BB (almost broke) goes all in for the pot, I come over top for enough to put the other two guys all in (no flush draws). That didn't work. BOTH called and another damn diamond hit the board on the turn. Board doesn't pair.

Here's what I was up against.

SB shows AK (no diamonds)
Me set of jacks
CO Kh 4h
Button Ad 10d

The button made the biggest contribution as he was the one I was trying to run out, if the stupid CO doesn't call, I bet he folds. It cost me $14, so it wasn't the end of the world.

I made it back....and then some on this hand.

I'm in MP with QQ and UTG (Loose) doubles it, two more callers in front, so I make it 10X the BB (yeah, it was healthy, but I didn't want to take a chance with the bitches). Button (decent player) calls and UTG calls.

Flop bring 3 3 10 rainbow. UTG checks.

Now. I figure that UTG probably has AK/AQ and missed. I'm pretty sure I'm in the lead, so I bet the pot....the button moves all in, essentially putting me all in. Why? If he had 10's this would be the worst play of all time. If he had AA or KK he would have reraised PF, I'm guessing AK, JJ, or 99. So, I'm calling. Then, out of the blue, UTG calls. What the hell? I'm sticking with my AK/AQ read. I think about it for a looooooong time and end up calling. My reads were spot on with UTG having AK and the button having JJ. The bitches do not disappoint and I pull down an $80 pot at a .10/.25 table. Nice.

Herein is the problem. I probably should have just let the QQ go in front of the two all ins. Big overpairs have probably cost me more money against sets and two pair than I care to think about. Then again, I don't know if there's a magic cure for getting away from them because about 1/2 the time, they're still the best hand.

Worked out last night. That's something I'll have to work on.

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger billdowis said...

Why would it be the worst play of all time if he had 10's? It was a pretty big pot and you said the other guy was loose, so maybe he was expecting a call from him and a fold from you. You did have good reads though and lucky you weren't out drawn.

I like your style, and you blog too! Check mine out if you have time, maybe we can even trade links!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home